8/30/2007

... fuzzie memories

... are so bittersweet. best remembered with a smile and maybe a tear in one's eye, fer sure. i was thinking this morning on my brief commute to the office about pets. i feel sorry and almost pity for those people out there who have never owned a pet. there's often such a bond, a love and a special connection formed between a lowly human and their "pedestal'd" pet that is undeniably real.

my maddie-dawg, while i tease her, call her silly names and complain in general about her is simply and paws-itively the best pet i've ever had the privilege of sharing time with. she looks at me with those big brown eyes (scooooop my poooooop) and i swear she's telling me (feeeed me) that she's jes' as happy to be with me (ruuuuub mah' belllllie) as i am with her.

most of you know that J and i, while still together, lost our rotund & dearest "fuzzie son" Chase, (a.k.a. mr puddins) months back. that was so completely and absolutely horrible for us both. mainly because Chase proved to be so...well.. almost human with his affection. he LIVED for hugs, would hug back, snuggled (totally spooned) J's head when she slept, took over your lap when he could, adored us, and ONLY wanted to be pet/snoogled/loved 24/7. losing him was like losing a limb. so now, J has "our 2" remaining cats, Cleo and Chewie... and i have Maddie.

when thinking about how Chase effected my life, i suddenly was overwhelmed with grief and recalled my dearest first kittenz, Dewey... i don't believe i've ever shown any of you my first cat, Dewey. she earned that name when she first looked at me with those big eyes that said, "love me." omgoodness she was jes' as loveable in return!!! she was a russian blue, had a painfully high squeak of a mew and loved to partake in drive-by rubs, tail all-a-whippin', and had a permanent love affair with sunbeams. she would kneed on me anytime she could too... of course, only when sunbeams weren't aplenty.... Dewey fell sick years back, and an unbeknownst asthma attack that caused upper-respitory failure took her from our arms within 24 hours. we were stunned and shocked into submission.

why do we all do this? succumb to teeny animals, care for them, love them and yet are forced to hope they survive for-ev-ah while they just.. don't!? i gotta tell ya, i'm reduced to almost-tears when thinking about someday losing my dog. i'm not sure what i'd do! she's occupied such a huge place in my heart for 6 years now.... how would i fill that gap!?

i know how... there'd likely be a puppy out there for me... a new friend... a new loyal companion, and damnit, i'd do it all again.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

pets are so easy to love!!!

you know, a few years back, my aunt had a black lab who'd gotten spade. one day the dog developed milk boobs and started burrowing in the yard and was acting very pregnant. my aunt took her to the vet all, "i want my money back for getting her spade because she is obviously pregnant". she wasn't pregnant. a litter of kittens lost their mother and the lab started caring for them. her body convinced her she was pregnant, so she started making milk and helped the kittens survive without a mother.

how can you not love that?

Adrianne said...

Pets are the best. I don't know what we'll do when Jebo finally goes (she's 12 years old and arthritic). Our other dog P-bear is so devoted to her, I think he'll be depressed and grieving for quite awhile.

shannon said...

Don't even talk to me about losing our critters. I cry just THINKING about it.

We love them so we can learn from them. Learn kindness, compassion, excitement for life.

I miss my Bob and Fred each and every day, but thank them for the love and for leading me to Simon.

Jen said...

Thanks for the post.

Happy Birthday Maddie, a little late. :)

Jack K. said...

The nice thing about pets is that you only have to treat them kindly and they will reciprocate at least fourfold.

We have only had cats, and then only one at a time. Shannon can tell you how her Bob and our Hazel got along.

We had to have our previous cat, Socks, put down because a previous vet misdiagnosed/didn't diagnose a kidney disease. There was no saving him. I am proud to say that I cried when leaving the Vet's office. It was a very sad time. I'm glad that Maryann was driving that day.

The great thing is that Hazel came into our lives shortly thereafter and has been with us for about 15 years now. We almost lost her to kidney failure but our dear Dr. Bruce was able to bring her back to us. That was about six years ago. We know that she probably doesn't have much more time with us. She has truly been an angel/healing cat.

Vixen said...

*Awww*

Make me all teary.....

My furbabies all hold a special place in my heart. I have lost 2 of them in the past year and it was *devastating*. My kitty Shalimar came up on her 17th bday this summer..and my little Arab girl that I've had in my life since she was 3...

*sob*

I don't like thinking about the 'what ifs...'

*hugs* Babe....xoxo

Vixen said...

Btw, I know you and I have only seen pics of Maddie but *I* love her.